I have been working hard on Zelah's quilt. She turned two in September and is now in a 'big' bed so I feel a little pressure to get on with it. I managed to make the quilt sandwich on the dining room table without the cats crawling all over it.
Now I am quilting it in the ditch with invisible thread in the top. I am very aware that invisible thread does not last and as this is a bed quilt rather than a cot quilt, I would like to think she will still be able to use it when she is a teenager. I plan to put some more quilting (not in invisible thread) in some of the larger blocks once I have finished this stage, but I have to say that it is looking quite good. I like the way quilts begin to get texture once you start quilting them. I am telling myself not to over-quilt it as I am so used to doing very heavily quilted art pieces.
Anyway, today I decided I really must get back to some art quilt work, not least because I am very behind with my journal quilts. I bought a starter kit of Thermofax inks from Claire Higgott www.thermofaxscreens.co.uk at Festival of Quilts but I have not had time to use it so I got out the three screens that I have bought from her and two pieces of fabric: one plain white cotton and the other a piece of blue cotton that I dyed several years ago. I had a lovely couple of hours trying things out:
The first layer was yellow which did not show up at all on the blue - until it dried.
It was better on the white. I then mixed some green but this was a bit disastrous as I put far too much blue in it -I should know as I have done this sort of thing with dyes many times. I did not put this on the blue piece and it came out almost black on the white. Then, still using the same stencil I added scarlet to both.
I was beginning to like this so I then changed stencils and added an overall pattern to the blue piece.
And here is a detail.
I then went back and put some more yellow on the white piece but I have an awful feeling that at some stage in the afternoon the ink began to solidify in the mesh and I may have semi-wrecked the stencil!
I am not sure that the colours of these photos are quite true but I have realised that having photographed each stage I now have photos that I can manipulate in Elements so the potential is enormous. Now I just have to wait for the pieces to dry and heat set them before considering what use I can make of them.