I thought I would start with a recent piece.
This one only dates from the beginning of this year as I planned to do the Contemporary Quilts group's journal quilt project this year. This was my January square and I also have a second unfinished one but I then realised I could not cope with working to deadlines these days so I pulled out.
We had terrible storms at the beginning of this year and this piece was inspired by them. It is made from pieces of fabric that I had lying around. The background is indigo-dyed linen which I made on a workshop with Janice Gunner several years ago. The contrasting squares are space-dyed linen which I made nearly ten years ago. The colours reminded me of the way the sea is churned up in a storm. The Journal Quilt Challenge this year said you had to include a line across the whole piece so I used a fancy white thread and couched lines of it between the shibori markings. I then hand quilted between the white lines using a Kanta technique and quite large stitches. The squares were then hand-stitched in variegated thread in an irregular pattern. I chose colours to reflect the colours in the linen. Then I added some French knots to give a bit of texture to the piece. The binding is plain blue dupion silk.
Now that it is finished it has migrated from the shelf in the studio to a folder with other journal quilts. I have no idea what I will do with it but I think it is successful as an exercise. I rather like the use of small squares mounted on something and frequently admire them in other people's work although I have not used them that extensively myself.